Home > hygiene > Shaving for Cheap

Shaving for Cheap

February 20th, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

My face usually looks a little scruffy, but I do need to shave a couple of times a week. I have been wondering for a while how much cheaper it is to buy razors online. Well today, I settled it.

gillette

Unfortunately I have a pretty thick beard, coupled with really sensitive skin. This means that cheap plastic razors or the safety razors with the single refillable blades are out for me. The best option I have is the Gillette fusion. I think it works pretty well, and leaves my face with far less red than others, but have you seen the price on these guys???

For eight refillable blades, it costs around $28 and up. I was searching on Amazon, and this was the best I could find. To comparison shop, I searched in Google, and found Shavethis.com. On the site, I found a deal for 16 blades for $37, shipping and taxes included.

That’s a pretty good deal. It turns out to cost $2.32 per blade instead of $3.50. Considering I only use about one blade per month, I’ve stocked up for more than a year. In fact if you look at the yearly cost, $28 doesn’t seem so bad for a years worth of razors.

Categories: hygiene Tags:
  1. February 20th, 2008 at 07:06 | #1

Meh. I went “old school” and got a single-bladed safety razor (along with a shaving brush and some decent cream). I get my blades in bulk as well (box of 100) and my cost is $0.13-$0.17 (depending on brand)! Check out the traditional shaving sub-culture at web forums like http://www.shavemyface.com and http://www.badgerandblade.com, and my youtube shaving channel at http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor

2. February 20th, 2008 at 18:10 | #2

Hi Jim, Like your blog, great concept.
    I also went old school and love it. I bought the Merkur Futur. Mark I would like to know where I can get blades that cheap, I found some of the german blades online for five dollars a 10 pack which is cheaper than going to the art of shaving and paying double.

3. February 21st, 2008 at 06:14 | #3

I just spent 20 mins watching the shaving videos, and I think I’m inspired. I’ll have to give it a try…but I did just buy over a years worth of Gillette blades :)

Going to check out the Merkur Futur now.

4. February 21st, 2008 at 06:55 | #4

@rob- You can get Derby blades in bulk from http://www.shavingfactory.com and Crystal (aka “Israeli Personna”) blades from “dssokhey” on ebay.

@Jim- Be careful with a Futur, they can be a little intimidating for a “newbie.” You might want to consider a Progress if you want an adjustable razor, or stick with a non-adjustable like the Merkur Heavy Duty.

5. Tom Salazar
    November 12th, 2008 at 16:21 | #5

m3ivzcfnt9w10v1s

6. August 6th, 2013 at 22:16 | #6

FrugalJim ยป Shaving for Cheap dvwrsddej gqsziodgw fgboxdzxjo lgtjrolhfq ccdxxczfxy stezpazms

1. February 20th, 2008 at 06:44 | #1